+32 (0) 2 401 61 30

 

Italy’s four land-based casinos have, between them, incurred losses amounting to more than €300m since 2005, and the municipally-owned businesses in Venice, Campione, San Remo and Saint-Vincent continue to face unrelenting pressure from gaming machines and Videolotteries (VLTs) distributed across the country. Even if, mainly because of the growth of Casino Campione d’Italia, currently the national market leader, the sector has shown a growth (+ 0,3%) after eight years.

As of December 2015, Italy had an installed base of 341,000 gaming machines and 52,000 VLTs, which in 2014 recorded a total turnover of €46.8bn euros.

Beyond Italy’s borders the four properties also face competition from Maltese, Slovenian, and Swiss casinos, while the Casino di Venezia is still awaiting the new managing director to decide its own destiny.

One of the possible solutions the ministry of economy is working on to release the sector from its decade-long slump is to manage the properties through a new state-controlled company.

According to the preliminary plan (source: press) now considered by the Treasury’s under secretary, Pierpaolo Baretta, the four historical casinos, and others which may be opened in Tuscany (Montecatini Terme), Lazio (Anzio), Campania (Salerno), Puglia (Bari or Fasano) and Sicily (Taormina), could merge into a new company controlled by the ministry of economy holding 51 percent and with local shareholders retaining the remaining 49 percent.

ECA MEMBERS

ECA MEMBERS :   Federgioco

NUMBER OF CASINOS

2016 4
2015 4
2014 4
2013 4

NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES

2016 1722
2015 1786
2013 1898

TERRESTRIAL CONSUMER PROTECTION / SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY MEASURE

The terrestrial casino sector in Italy remains outside of the supervision of the country’s regulator, the Amministrazione Autonoma dei Monopoli di Stato (AAMS).

Instead, casinos are under the control of the Ministry of Interior and are run by the local authorities in the provinces and municipalities in which they are located.

Casinos’ hours of operation vary across the country and are established by the relevant local authority.

The AAMS is responsible for the regulation of online gambling services.

Players must be at least 18 years of age to gamble in Italy.

In each of the four casinos in Italy, there is an internal commission responsible for all matters relating to player protection.

Additionally, casinos offer information to players about gambling addiction and the treatment services available to problem gamblers.

Casino staff are trained recognise the behaviour that is characteristic of problem gambling.

Italian gambling operators must offer self-exclusion services and ensure that once a player has self-excluded, they are not able to place bets or make deposits into an online account for the established exclusion period.

The list of self-excluded players must be notified to AAMS.

With regards to remote gambling, players must be allowed to establish betting limits and there cannot be default or unlimited values.

 

Legal Gambling Age: 18 Years Old

Smoking Ban: Yes, but allowed in specific areas.

THE REGULATED MARKET

NATURE OF THE CASINO MARKET

Terrestrial: Multiple licences, capped at four

Online: Multiple licences, not capped

 

REGULATED CASINO GAMES

Terrestrial: Differs by municipality. Authorised games include French roulette, American roulette, blackjack, punto banco, craps and poker variants.

Online: Casino games, including online slots.

 

RESPONSIBLE REGULATOR FOR TERRESTRIAL AND ONLINE CASINO GAMES

Terrestrial: Ministry of Interior for land-based casinos

Online:AAMS

THE ILLEGAL MARKET

Size of Illegal Gambling Market : The illegal gambling market in Italy is estimated to be worth at least 23bn Euros.

Market Protection Measures / Tools to Tackle Illegal Gambling:Website blocking is permitted in Italy and there are also advertising restrictions in place.

IN THE CASINO

NUMBER OF CASINO VISITS (in 000s)

2016 2135
2015 2210
2013 2340

REVENUES (GGR & Tips EUR Million)

2016 323
2015 331 million
2014 329 million
2013 338 million

HIGH-LEVEL MARKET DATA

Currency : Euro

Population:60,802,080
(Source:The World Bank)

GNI (2014, Local Currency, Millions): 15,83,333
(Source: Eurostat)

Internet Penetration (Internet Users):62%
(Source: The World Bank)

Mobile Penetration (Mobile Cellular Subscriptions): 154%
(Source: The World Bank)

Doing Business Ranking (June 2015):45
(Source: World Bank Group)

Prepared by :

Last Updated: 1st September 2016